Tuesday, April 24, 2012

More Organizing

Another day and more photos. I am still battling with thinning out, but I get distracted by creativity. So today, is a short post on where I store a few things. 

Once a year, The Container Store has a big sale on all Elfa products. I purchased this door assembly and added different sizes of bins. These hold all my large punches perfectly. The teeny tiny minis fit in a drawer. The top rack is the DVD/CD rack that is the current version. I also used pantry sized racks and a few discontinued media rack styles that enabled me to neatly store my edger punches. I really love the old style media racks and was happy to find them clearance priced at 1/3 the regular prices. Behind the door is a plastic shoe organizer where I store my edger scissors and some of the giant punches I have that didn't fit in the Elfa set up. I wish I had more doors in this room because those shoe pocket hangers are great for storing all kinds of things and everything is easily visible. The plus is that it is on the back of the door so it doesn't make the room look even messier.



For my inks, I do have a cassette rack that I found on Ebay that holds my Stampin' Up inks and my Distress Inks hung on the wall. For the rest of my collection, I use an Elfa drawer system under my work table. Because this table is actually a heavy-duty folding table, I place bed risers under each leg so that I could put drawers under it more easily. This also enables me to stand when working, which is better for my back problems.

Here's a pic of how I store the gazillion stamp pads and my Distress Stains. Each drawer contains like types of ink. Dye, Chalk, pigment, specialty and embossing and the top drawer holds my tape dispensers and most used cutting tools. I also keep my alcohol and Judikins Mica Gloss in this drawer as well. Everything is easy to find and right at my fingertips, just not taking up space on the worktable. Because they are separately by brand and ink type, pads are also easy to put away. All refills are kept in a different drawer with my Stickles collection and paint daubers. They are something I don't use everyday, but are still easy to put my hand on. 




I know most people prefer to have their supplies out and visible, but my house gets very, very hot in the summer and doesn't always cool off during the night. I found that by keeping liquid types of media in drawers, they stay at a more even temperature and the heat won't dry them out when I'm not looking. Drawers and boxes also keep things from flying should there be an earthquake. 

That's it for today. I often dream of winning the lottery and having a completely custom designed Elfa component room. I love their products and they last forever!

Hope you have a wonderful inky day!


1 comment:

  1. I love what you have done so far - all easy to get to and great ideas :O) I wouldn't mind an Elfa unit myself!!!

    ReplyDelete