Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Keeping the masses contained


I thought I'd show you all how I keep frequently accessed supplies close at hand yet easily put away. I admit, I am a messy person. And an admitted pile maker. It's a habit formed when I was a child and I have never been able to completely conquer it.

On the RangerInkLink Yahoo group, we've been submitting tips for organizing. Everyone has great tips and I hope to incorporate some of them into my own routine. For now, here are some of my own attempts at keeping my work table organized.

I used to keep current projects in plastic baskets, but if I accidentally knocked it over, everything would spill out and I'd be on my hands and knees trying to find all the little pieces that fly out everywhere. Now I'm using the Stampin' Up stamp cases and I'm much happier. Here I've put cards that are waiting for embellishment in one and the card base plus the layer pieces in another. Yet another case holds the cut pieces that need to be adhered and layered for the main design. The small cut pieces are in small baggies that I've recycled from purchases so I don't have to separate each element every time I open the case. Behind you see  a finished version of the card design I'm currently working on.
Stamp Cases



To keep these cases from getting lost or separated, I put them into this CD organizer I found at The Container Store. I need one or two more of them because I also keep myPapertrey Ink stamps in them. At the end of the day, I can just close the cases and either stack them on my worktable or put them away if I'm starting another project.
I keep scraps, just like everyone else. Large pieces I put in a tall plastic bin on my table and I used to toss those long thin strips. I finally figured out that those thin strips can be used for sentiments and banners. Duh, I know. Now I keep those in another tall container and it doesn't take much room but I can easily see if there's a color I would like to use, or a particular width I'm looking for. Here are the two bins I frequently find my fingers in. I keep paper cut in 4.25" x 5.5" for making backgrounds and layers. I also use these pieces for experimenting with stamps and ink colors.




Any tallish container would work and it doesn't take up much room on my work table and is easy enough to move to another resting spot. This one usually nests next to my computer screen while still remaining within arms reach. (I really have a small room, LOL)

This guy is about 30 years old... an old Tupperware container for syrups minus it's lid. I have 3 of these and my copics fit in them nicely when I've pulled a selection of pens to work on a design.

An imitation Snapware container again minus it's lid worked perfectly for corralling my large scraps and pre cut card fronts. I keep a variety of papers precut and keep scraps in front.




















I also like to have cardstock precut and I found the Stampin' Up Bigz die box a perfect fit for keeping it all handy and looking nice. I previously ordered one from Sizzix, but the tray in the bottom was glued down. This one from Stampin' Up comes with the tray separated, so I can use the tray in a drawer or on a flat surface. Cardstock cut for an A2 size card, which is the size card I like to make fits perfectly. The inside of the box is nicely finished with patterned paper.
















I like using boxes and plastic containers to hold frequently accessed items. I keep a lot of my supplies in drawers, but I am definitely a big small container fan. Drawers get heavy and easily messy, while small boxes are easy to take down from a shelf, and yes, they are stackable so I can still make my little Cathy-piles. They can be quickly put away by simply sliding them into a bookshelf or a cupboard and I think if I could just make some concrete decisions on what I would really like to keep or be rid of, I will become less prone to making piles.

Next posting will be my ink storage solution.

til then... keep your fingers inky!

Cathy

No comments:

Post a Comment