Saturday, April 28, 2012

Help! I've Been Buried Alive!

I spent this week moving stuff around and trying to arrange stuff by workflow. Now, I've got piles all over the place, LOL! Have you ever noticed that when you re-arrange things, there are always leftovers that no longer have a place to sit? After a while it starts to get a little depressing!

It does make you re-assess what things you really, really need to keep and what you can part with. I am fairly new to stamping and cardmaking, but I have managed to amass quite a collection in a year's time. I am slowly making some big decisions on what I need to let go and sell, donate, or gift away.

When I started my room cleanse, I vowed to not buy anymore storage furniture, as it would just make it too easy to stuff more things away. So, I have decided to just move supplies around, trying to keep like-supplies together in whatever drawer or box they end up in. If you don't adhere to this rule, I have found that you will spend way too much time opening and closing containers trying to find one little thing. Usually by the time you find it, you decide it wasn't really what you wanted anyway.

For me, the most important step to take in room organization is Label, Label, Label. If you are using a container temporarily, use a sticky note. For permanent storage, use a label maker, or make yourself a pretty label. Just making those labels seems to help the brain absorb where that item is. Stop and think about your personal workflow... what are your constant go-to items. Everyone is different and interested in different techniques. These interests are what should guide you in your organization.

I was thinking about using a hutch on the table where my computer monitor sits. A hutch is great, but past experience tells me that they don't really hold that much. I think I would rather have a shelving unit with closed ends so I can arrange the available shelf space using containers that fit my needs, rather than trying to fit into a pre-arranged space. Another drawback to using a hutch, or even shelving is being able to reach things. I keep a folding footstool to be able to put plastic boxes up high, but I've also been known to have to duck as everything else comes down along with the one box I wanted.

Ten years ago, I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. I've been lucky in that today I can still walk, talk and use my hands, but I have to be very careful, because I tend to easily lose my balance (yes, my butt has probably touched as many boxes as my hands have.) Piling things on the floor is dangerous for me in a small room, so I lean towards sturdy bookcases and closed cupboards. My room cleanse is going much slower than I thought it would, because of the piles it has enabled to sprout. I have a feeling the room isn't going to look much different when I'm done. I will still be happy to have a room to go play in and maybe that's the most important outcome to this project.

I am going to put some of my room cleanse on hold for now, so I can get back to plain 'ol creativity. If I make a mess, I'll just clean up when I'm done. This cleansing lesson has help me in many ways, though. Now when I start a new project, I find a bin and keep the ink pads I'm using, any punches, paper, stamps and other tools all together in that plastic bin. Not a big basket bin, just a flat plastic one that you can find at any time at Walmart, Target,the hardware store and even Bed, Bath and Beyond. This habit has helped me quite a bit and makes cleaning up less of a chore. Plastic containers are my friends :)

I certainly hope everyone else is progressing nicely along with their room cleansing challenge. I'm looking forward to seeing the results of Kate Palmer's adventure.








3 comments:

  1. Hi Cathy - I so know just how you feel - I'll post some photos of my room right now on the 1st of the month so you know I feel your pain - I bet mine is worse ha ha ha! Keep reading along as next month is what I've chosen to actually do after spending 30 days searching for ideas - you may find some things you can use too. Sending hugs and hope you have a wonderfully creative month ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, thanks for the support, Kate. To be honest, it seems I've re-arranged my room at least 5 times since I started playing with rubber and ink. It's become one of those endless journeys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope it's not endless - I'd like my bedroom floor back sometime soon :O) I couldn't find the right hutch either - so I did this.... http://www.sparkletart.com/rsr/2012/05/hutch-style-storage-for-craft-room.html presently working like a dream! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete